Daffy's Logolept Page and Word a Day Blog

A blog to help others improve their vocabularies. I feature several words every day. The words are eclectic mix of words gathered over many years. I also feature sentence examples, and I try to write in an informal friendly style.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

sophomania ,gambrinous

Today's word is sophomania (sof-oh-MAY-nee-uh) A delusional state in which one believes themself to be a person of exceptional intelligence.

Wow! Here is a word that applies to folks you run into on a daily basis, therfore, I judge this to b a real utilitarian word for you, or a "worker", as they say.

I will create a sentence for you: "Ed had just gotten his GED, and soon after became a victim of his own sophomania...but his family knew otherwise"

And I will toss one more in for good measure; gambrinous (GAM-brin-us) full of beer.
Boy I'm on a roll with two extremely utilitarian words in a row.

Sentence? Sure, this should be easy: "As I walked down to the corner store for a gallon of milk, I noticed, across the street, my ever- gambrinous uncle Fred, stumbling out of the local pub, three sheets to the wind, but apparently happy as a clam."

I must run!

See ya'!
Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home